How to make a Booking
Please contact the receptionist at Baby Steps Health Centre on 08 9387 5892.
We are currently taking bookings at various times throughout the week including morning, afternoon and evening appointments. PLEASE NOTE Parking is NOT available in the car park. There is FREE parking available in Marlow St or other streets surrounding the clinic.
When to make a Booking
The procedure can be performed at any time in the first 3 months of life.
Contact us once your baby is born, and we will arrange a suitable time for you and your child.
The ideal time to have the circumcision is in the first 2 weeks of their life but anytime in the first 6 – 8 weeks is quite suitable. After 8 weeks, the child has greater memory and may be more unsettled that day. Additionally, there are greater technical difficulties as the child gets fatter and the complications of surgery are more likely. Although the procedure can be done after this age, parents should try to book it before eight weeks of age.
If your child will be older than 12 weeks, then please call us and make an appointment at no out of pocket cost, with our doctor to advise how to access a reliable and safe circumcision for your child.
Preparation before the procedure
Once you have been given an appointment for a circumcision for your son at the Perth Circumcision Clinic, there are a number of points to note.
- Both parents are requested to attend the appointment if at all possible.
- The appointment will last for approximately 2 hours, so if you have other children, please make arrangements for their care. We request that only 2 family members attend the clinic.
- If you wish, you may be present during the procedure, but most parents wait in another room, and then feed and settle the baby privately afterward in the clinic. Our staff will check the baby again after the settling period and then you may take the child home.
- Use of Paracetamol (Panadol) prior to attending or afterward is permitted, but our doctors do not find that there is any significant benefit from its use around the circumcision.
- On the day of the procedure:
- Bath the baby with an antiseptic soap or lotion in the hours prior to the procedure.
- Do NOT apply powder or nappy rash cream after the bath.
- Bring at least two clean disposable nappies.
- If not breast feeding, bring a bottle to feed the baby after the procedure.
- Your baby's pain will be managed by the use of analgesic/anaesthetic treatments. There are no additional preparation for the use of pain relief or anaesthesia. These can be discussed at the time of the procedure. You do not need to purchase any items.
- If you do not live in the metropolitan area (i.e. you live more than 1 hour from central Perth), you will be required to make arrangements to stay overnight in Perth after the procedure.
If you need to reschedule, cannot make your appointment or change your mind, please give us at least 24 hours notice to allow another family to access our service.
If you have any questions that are not answered in this website, please feel free to call the clinic on 08 9387 5892.